Saturday, January 27, 2007

Mah Yinghao S10032374G

Seems that I’m having a problem posting the .m4a file so I’ll post the script first.

[Interview]
In this pod cast, we will be exploring the issue of trust and over independence of some Foreign domestic workers in Singapore, as well as what some of their employers deal with. Today, we are pleased to have with us an employer; Mrs. Eileen Goh.

So Mrs Goh, may we know how long you have had your employee?

Mrs Goh: Roughly 10 years or so but she has returned home for a long break on several occasions.

Wow 10 years seems like a rather long time, and during that period of time did you and your maid foster a sort of trust between the two of you?

Mrs Goh: Initially, yes.

What do you mean by initially?

Mrs Goh: well, she was hard working and reliable when she first came here to work. So seeing this, I decided to give her more responsibilities as a house keeper. But eventually I found that she her performance is beginning to become worse.

Worse in what way?

Mrs Goh: At first she just started to use the house phone more often, but we ignored it as we thought she deserved some space with friends and family. Her sister works here as a nurse by the way. But anyway she eventually became worse when she started sneaking out without permission and that was when we decided to end her contract.

I see. But when in those 10 years did her actions become more and more obvious? Or when did you start to realise that she was beginning to take advantage of her privileges?

Mrs Goh: I can’t remember when exactly, but it was some time during the last two years when I began to consider sending her home.

Why did it take you two years to decide?

Mrs Goh: Well its hard to say, I guess it was because I kept on thinking that I should give her another chance.

Why did you consider giving her another chance?

Mrs Goh: I guess it was because of how long she had worked for me, and the trust I had put on her.

I see. Did her actions have any effect on your perspective on foreign domestic workers in Singapore?

Mrs Goh: Definitely. In one way or another it has caused me to think twice before putting too much responsibility in them. Infact its not just my perspective of maids, but other foreign workers as well.
Now that we have heard your perspective of trust placed on FDWs, is there anything else you would like to say to the audience?

Mrs Goh: Well, in order for trust to work both parties must put in effort.

That said I will leave you with something to ponder on the responsibilities of both FDWs and their employers.

Thank you for listening.

No comments: